What should I do if I am a qualified person with a disability who needs assistance in order to participate in a program or service of the state courts system?

Some physical barriers make it difficult for persons with a disability to participate in court services or programs.  In some courthouses, witness and jury boxes may be inaccessible to wheelchairs or public information counters may be too high for some persons.  In addition to architecturally renovating facilities to make them readily accessible to persons with disabilities, there are other methods of providing program access including relocating a service to enable a person with a disability to participate.

Any device or aid that is designed to provide effective communication and participation for individuals with disabilities is an auxiliary aid or service.  Examples of auxiliary aids or services include:

  • Assisted Listening Devices
  • Sign Language Interpreters
  • Oral Interpreters
  • Real-Time Transcription Services
  • Providing Materials in Large Print, Braille, Diskette, or Audio Tapes
  • Reader Services

Services the State Courts System is not required to provide under the ADA include:

  • Transportation to the Courthouse
  • Legal counsel or Advice
  • Personal Devices such as a Wheelchair or Hearing Aid
  • Personal Services such as Medical or Attendant Care
  • A Modification of a Policy or an Auxiliary Aid or Service that would result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of the Program or Service, or would result in an undue burden

If you are a person with a disability who needs an accommodation in order to participate in a proceeding, please contact the ADA Coordinator or Liaison for the county where your matter is scheduled before the Courts within 2 working days of your receipt of your notice to appear in Court at:



Phone Number

Escambia County

Allison Newton

(850) 595-4400

Okaloosa County

Valerie Broxson

(850) 609-4700

Santa Rosa County

Brooke Jones

(850) 623-3159

Walton County

Tanya Schumann

(850) 892-8134