Gary L. Bergosh

Circuit Judge
Escambia County
M - Family Law
Escambia County
Judicial Assistant: 
Krista Adams

M.C. Blanchard Judicial Building
190 Governmental Center
Pensacola, FL 32502

Fax : 

Judicial Assistant Email:

Submitting Proposed Orders

Please e-file all orders through the e-portal in Escambia County.  Instructions on e-filing proposed Orders are as follows.  Go to the clerk’s e-portal and in the drop down menu, choose “proposed documents” to submit the proposed order.  Submit the proposed order in “Word” format and submit a cover letter in “PDF” format. 

When preparing a proposed order after a hearing, an advance copy should be provided to opposing counsel to determine whether there is an objection as to the form of the order prior to its submission to the judge.  An email or letter from opposing counsel indicating their approval/objection should be emailed to the judicial assistant.  The proposed order should then be provided to the judge. This will result in the proposed order going directly to the judge for consideration/signature. 

The proposed order must have substantive language of the ruling on same page as judge’s signature line. Orders that contain only the judge’s signature on the last page should not be submitted.

Immediately above the space for the judge’s signature, please include the following language: 

          DONE AND ORDERED in Chambers in Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida.

Do not include blanks for the judge to fill in the date the order is signed. Orders are signed electronically; the date and time the order was signed will appear immediately below the judge’s signature.

Please do not submit proposed orders prior to the hearing.  We do not have the resources necessary to hold and retrieve proposed orders for a pending hearing. We prefer proposed orders to be brought to the hearing or submitted following the hearing as described above.

Scheduling Hearings:

When a motion or petition has been filed with the Clerk and a hearing needs to be scheduled, please email Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant with the following information:

Case Style (Name of Petitioner vs. Name of Respondent)

Case Number

Title of Motion(s) to be heard

Length of hearing (total amount of time needed by Petitioner and Respondent)

Name of Petitioner’s Attorney

Name of Respondent’s Attorney

Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant will respond to your email.  Please allow several days for a response.  Keep in mind sending multiple emails and calling one or multiple times will not get your hearing set faster.

Cross-setting or “Piggy-Backing” Hearings:

When a hearing is initially scheduled, the time set aside for the original motion is deemed to be sufficient for that matter only.  Adding additional motions is not possible unless there are no objections by opposing counsel/parties to doing so, additional time is available, and Judge Bergosh has been notified an additional motion has been added.  Judge Bergosh will not hear motions which have not been properly scheduled and noticed.

Information for Pro Se Litigants (Parties who are not represented by an attorney)

Judge Bergosh and his judicial assistant are not permitted to give legal advice. “Legal advice” means suggesting things that might be filed, evaluating the sufficiency of information on a form, interpretation of any document, evaluating the conduct of an opposing party or lawyer, and giving an opinion about the likelihood of success of an action in litigation.

Judge Bergosh will not discuss pending cases with any party outside of a hearing. Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant cannot take a message pertaining to a pending case from a party, family member, or other person to give to Judge Bergosh.

Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant is not permitted to recommend specific lawyers or advise a party on how to handle the matters pending before the judge. 

Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant does not have the authority to excuse a party from court appearances.  Only a judge can grant that request.

Communication with Judge Bergosh regarding cases assigned to him can take two forms:

1. Written documents filed in the court file (with a copy served on all parties); and

2. Court hearings (including final hearings and trials).

Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant’s responsibility is to schedule hearings and maintain Judge Bergosh's calendar.  Once a motion is filed or the matter is ready to be set for a final hearing or trial, a party may contact Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant to schedule a hearing.  Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant may only communicate regarding potential dates and times for hearings.  Judge Bergosh’s Judicial Assistant is not permitted to engage in discussions regarding the issues in a pending case with anyone for any purpose.

Resources that may be helpful to parties who are pro se (not represented by an attorney):

Legal Services:

Legal Services of North Florida
1741 N. Palafox St.
Pensacola, Florida 32501
(850) 432-8222

Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service
260 S. Tarragona Street, Suite 160
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 434-6009

ADA Notice (required to be included in all Notices of Hearing):

Administrative Order 2015-32, signed by the Chief Judge of the First Judicial Circuit, requires that all notices for court proceedings include the following notice (as amended by Florida Rule of Judicial Administration 2.540) in either Times New Roman or Courier 14 point bold font.  Please include this ADA notice at the end of all notices of court appearances (i.e., Notice of Hearing):

If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact:

Court Administration, ADA Liaison

Escambia County 190 Governmental Center, 5th Floor
Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone (850) 595-4400 / Fax (850) 595-0360;

at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.