John Simon

Circuit Judge
Escambia County
Felony E and N
Judicial Assistant: 
Jane Alford (

M.C. Blanchard Buidling

190 Governmental Center

Pensacola, FL 32502

Fax : 

Telephone Appearance Preferences: May appear by telephone by motion only.

Submitting Proposed Orders

Please e-file all orders through the e-portal in Escambia County.  Instructions on e-filing proposed Orders are as follows.  Go to the clerk’s e-portal and in the drop down menu, choose “proposed documents” to e-file the proposed order.  E-file the proposed order in “Word” format and e-file a cover letter in “PDF” format. 

The document should be named as follows:

Division case number name title of proposed order


J 2028 CF 156 Brown order to continue

If there is more than one case, then a motion and order must be filed in each case and all case numbers are to be listed on each motion and each proposed order. (i.e. defendant has 5 cases there will be 5 motions e-filed and 5 proposed orders submitted through the e-portal for signature). 

Motions to Continue for Docket Days

All Motions to Continue and proposed Orders on Motions to Continue for docket days must have the opposing attorney’s position in them and be filed by the Thursday preceding docket day at 5:00 p.m.   

Scheduling Hearings

Any Motion to be set for hearing must be filed.  Once the Motion is filed in the court file, email the Motion to Judge Simon’s Judicial Assistant.  Once Judge Simon has reviewed the Motion, the Judicial Assistant will contact the Defendant’s attorney and the State’s attorney with a proposed date to schedule the Motion for hearing.

Information for Pro Se Litigants (Parties who are not represented by an attorney)

Judge Simon and his judicial assistant are not permitted to give legal advice. “Legal advice” means suggesting things that might be filed, evaluating the sufficiency of information on a form, interpretation of any document, evaluating the conduct of an opposing party or lawyer, and giving an opinion about the likelihood of success of an action in litigation.

Judge Simon will not discuss pending cases with any party outside of a hearing. Judge Simon’s Judicial Assistant cannot take a message pertaining to a pending case from a party, family member, or other person to pass to Judge Simon.

Judge Simon’s Judicial Assistant is not permitted to recommend specific lawyers or advise a party on how to handle the matters pending before the judge. 

Judge Simon’s Judicial Assistant does not have the authority to excuse a party from court appearances.  Only a judge can grant that request.

Communication with Judge Simon regarding cases assigned to him can take two forms:

1. Written documents filed in the court file (with a copy served on all parties); and

2. Court hearings

Resources that may be helpful to parties who are pro se (not represented by an attorney):

Legal Services:

Legal Services of North Florida
1741 N. Palafox St.
Pensacola, Florida 32501
(850) 432-8222

Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association – Lawyer Referral Service
260 S. Tarragona Street, Suite 160
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 434-6009

ADA Notice (required to be included in all Notices of Hearing):

Administrative Order 2015-32, signed by the Chief Judge of the First Judicial Circuit, requires that all notices for court proceedings include the following notice (as amended by Florida Rule of Judicial Administration 2.540) in either Times New Roman or Courier 14 point bold font.  Please include this ADA notice at the end of all notices of court appearances (i.e., Notice of Hearing):

If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact:

Court Administration, ADA Liaison

Escambia County 190 Governmental Center, 5th Floor
Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone (850) 595-4400 Fax (850) 595-0360;

at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.